ABC Company will be with you every step of the way

Kyoka

Japanese
Hello everyone,

I have a question to ask you.
This is just a hypothetical story.
If I am running a company and want to write an effective catch copy on my web site, can I say, "ABC Company will be with you every step of the way"?

I'm waiting for cordial response.

• Cretschen

Spanish - Spain
    Hello, Kyoka.
    I would slightly rephrase it as "The ABC Company will be with you every step of the way".

Apart from that, it sounds perfectly right to me : )

Regards,
    Cretschen

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    While you would use "the" if the name were actually "____ Company," you wouldn't use it with most business names.

"IBM will be with you..."
    "Smith's Shoe Repair will be with you..."

Cretschen

Spanish - Spain
    So in this case, would you omit the (*edited) definite article (*) "the", as Kyoka did originally?

Last edited:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    (i) "The" is not a preposition, it is the "definite article".
    (ii) As Florentina says, it depends on the name of the company.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    As I said, if the name of the business really is "ABC Company," then it is correctly referred to as "The ABC Company."

"The" is an article, not a preposition.

[Cross-posted with PaulQ]

Kyoka

Japanese
    Thank you all,

I understood whether or not to put definite article, "the" before the company name depends on case by case. Actually, "ABC Company" is not a real company, so there is no correct style.

Charlie222

Slovak
    Hello, which article (definite or indefinite) should go before "company" in this sentence: I work for a/the company XY.? (XY = the name of the company) I know that it is possible to say "I work for XY company", too. But how is it in that first sentence? Or are there any other better options? And is it normal to say it this way at all?

Thanks in advance

The Newt

English - US
    We don't normally use an article before a company name. There may be a few conventional exceptions but the pattern is no article.

Charlie222

Slovak
    I know that no article goes right before a company name. But as that sentence is written: I work for (a/the) company XY..with the word company as well as the name of the company, I think some article should be used....or simply the word "company" should be left out and only "I work for XY" should be used instead?

The Newt

English - US
    I know that no article goes right before a company name. But as that sentence is written: I work for (a/the) company XY..with the word company as well as the name of the company, I think some article should be used....or simply the word "company" should be left out and only "I work for XY" should be used instead?
    You would say, for example, "I work for IBM." In some cases, where the article is part of the name, you might say "I work for the Microflange Corporation," but it would be more usual to just say "I work for Microflange." Otherwise, "I work for the phone company," where "phone company" is used generically.

Hujo

German
    Hello, which article (definite or indefinite) should go before "company" in this sentence: I work for a/the company XY.? (XY = the name of the company) I know that it is possible to say "I work for XY company", too. But how is it in that first sentence? Or are there any other better options? And is it normal to say it this way at all?

Thanks in advance
    You wrote "I work for a/the company XY.? (XY = the name of the company)" That construction looks strange to me whether it includes an article or not. I would include the definite article but also rearrange the sentence thus "I work for the General Electric company."

The Newt

English - US
    In some cases you might say, for example, "I work for the steel company Blandings & Sons." You would be unlikely to do that, however, with just "company" by itself.

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    I've merged Charlie222's question (and the answers it received) to an earlier thread on this same topic. I hope he finds it useful. If you still have questions on this subject, you're welcome to add them here. :)

JustKate
    English Only moderator

Hujo

German
    In some cases you might say, for example, "I work for the steel company Blandings & Sons." You would be unlikely to do that, however, with just "company" by itself.
    I wonder whether a comma would be appropriate between 'company' and 'Blandings & Sons'

The Newt

English - US
    I wonder whether a comma would be appropriate between 'company' and 'Blandings & Sons'
    No, but with slight modifications it would be required:

I work for my father's steel company, Blandings & Sons.
    I work for the local brewery, Blandings & Sons.

< Previous | Next >