Aber angeblich steht das da

• Kajjo

....Aber angeblich steht das da" = it means: but apparently it says here that I should
    No, this is wrong. With extended context this might be what is meant, but literally the English translation added a lot.

Aber angeblich steht das da
    But allegedly it says so. | But they claim it says so.

Note that "angeblich" is a much more common filler than the English "allegedly".

etwas steht da = something is written there, usually as instruction

Hutschi

When I read the sentence alone, there are two different meanings possible.
    without context I read it like Kajjo.

In this case the verb is a separable verb "dastehen"= an dieser Stelle geschrieben stehen/geschrieben sein. ... allegedly it says so. Allegedly it is written there. As Kajjo explained.

In case it is not a separable verb, we have "da stehen" to stand there. The thing is allegedly standing there.

In written form you cannot see a difference in the separated form in German language. Only context tells you what it means.

Last edited:

Minnesota Guy

American English - USA
    Welcome to the forum!

If I understand this correctly, the situation is that Obelix says that he doesn't want to buy a chariot, but someone saw it in his future after reading his palm. "Apparently it says here that I should" is a good idiomatic way of expressing that in English. It's not a close translation of the German, though.

If the German and English translations were made independently, from a French original, that could explain the difference in the phrasing.