abide <abided? abode? aboden?> [irregular or regular?]

< Previous | Next >

horace.mik

Russian and Italian - bilingual
Hello.
I don't know if my thread complies with the forum rules.
I have a doubt about the paradigm of the verb 'to abide' and I would exhort English speakers to clarify the question.
Several online dictionaries, Collins included, report 'to abide' as a regular verb, so the simple past and the past participle are 'abided'. The other ones report the verb as an irregular verb, with PT and PP both as 'abode', others report PT 'abode' and PP 'aboden', and others yet relate PT 'abode' and PP 'abiden'.
Which is the correct case?
Thank you very much.

• cubaMania

The traditional past tense and past participle of abide is abode...
    But through the past several centuries, abided has gained ground as the past tense and past participle...
    Neither way is more or less correct than the other.
    Abided is the newer form, but it is several centuries old now and well established...
    http://grammarist.com/usage/abide-abided-abode/

I have never seen it as "aboden" or "abiden".

Carchemish

Romanian
    'Abide' is a verb with several meanings and that would explain its diversity. Nowadays it is more common the use of 'abided' rather than 'abode', but both ways are correct. The only difference is that 'abode' is the oldest form of past tense and past participle, unlike "abided" which is the newer form; also 'abode' it is more likely to be considered a noun, meaning 'a place where to live in'. Hope this helps you, cheers!

horace.mik

Russian and Italian - bilingual

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    This verb is not often used except in the infinitive, present tense, and imperative forms.
    Examples:
    Imperative - "Abide With Me", the title of a well-known hymn (=stay, remain)
    Infinitive - I can't abide they way they talk all the time. (= tolerate, endure)
    Infinitive - We have to abide by the rules. (= obey)

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    OED
    Inflections: Past tense abided, abode /əˈbəʊd/ ; past participle abided, abode, (rare) abidden.
    The verb now tends only to be used in the weak form:

"The government abides/abided/has abided by its earlier decision."

Of most of the meanings, OED notes archaic or rare. The above being an exception. There is one instance of the strong past tense: "1895 S. R. Crockett Bog-myrtle & Peat 45 He abode to see what would happen." to abide = to remain behind (of a person) and that is likewise archaic.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >