abide by moral code

< Previous | Next >

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
Do you think the collocation of "abide by" in my following sentence is right? Could you specify the reasons? I am not sure if I could "abide by" a code, but I do not want to use two verbs instead of one.

People should abide by rules and regulations as well as moral code to minimize the side effect on environment.

• moo mouse

English UK
    I think your use of abide by is sufficiently far away from moral code so that it doesn't sound odd. However, you need to say:
    "People should abide by rules and regulations as well as a moral code to minimize the side effects on the environment."
    It still sounds a bit strange to me as you haven't specified what rules and regulations you are referring to but I am sure you will explain that somewhere else.

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
    Thanks, moo mouse! Is there a verb that could be used both with "rules" and "a moral code"? Am I right that usually "moral code" is used in singular form?

moo mouse

English UK
    Yes, rules are there to be followed.

"People should follow rules and regulations as well as a moral code to minimize the side effects on the environment."

Don't worry you're not flogging a dead horse! :)

< Previous | Next >