ability of/to/in

Ted Brasil

Italian
Hello,

I am not sure about what prepositions, according to context, make sense following 'ability'. My case is:

Self-monitoring, meant as the ability to situational attunement to thoughts, actions and feelings in a social context (cf. ), is perhaps one the most explored psychological factors in this research.

the meaning is: the ability of an individual to conform depending on the situation to

Thanks

Ted

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "Ability to..." requires a verb, as in your final sentence, "The ability... to conform..."

In your example, "capacity for situational attunement..." might work better. Otherwise, you need to change "situational attunement" to a verb, which would be cumbersome.

Elwintee

England English
    We don't say 'ability to [noun phrase]', we have to say 'ability to [verb]'. Your sentence will have to be reworded. Can you try again, and then we can comment and, we hope, help you further.

cross-posted

Ted Brasil

Italian
    You are right, thanks. Below my second try

'the ability of individuals to attune to thoughts, actions and feelings in a (perhaps makes sense to you 'proper of a social context) social context depending on the situation at hand'

Elwintee

England English
    You are right, thanks. Below my second try

'the ability of individuals to attune to thoughts, actions and feelings in a (perhaps makes sense to you 'proper of a social context) social context depending on the situation at hand'
    Yes, that is much better. I have ignored the part I have highlighted in red, as I am not clear what you mean by it. 'At hand' is not idiomatic in that context, and in any case I consider you can dispense with those two words, as they can be understood from the sentence without them.

< Previous | Next >