ability through derivatives of holding

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
Taking away from the usefulness of margin debt for market forecasting is the ability through derivatives of holding positions outside the Federal Reserve requirements for margin, which only apply to banks.
(Technical analysis: the complete resource for financial market technicians / Charles D. Kirkpatrick and Julie Dahlquist.)

I think it should be "the ability through derivatives to hold". Am I right and is it a common mistake among native English speakers?

Thanks.

• teksch

English - American
    Taking away from the usefulness of margin debt for market forecasting is the ability through derivatives of holding positions outside the Federal Reserve requirements for margin, which only apply to banks.
    (Technical analysis: the complete resource for financial market technicians / Charles D. Kirkpatrick and Julie Dahlquist.)

I think it should be "the ability through derivatives to hold". Am I right and is it a common mistake among native English speakers?

Thanks.
    Why do you think it is a mistake?

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
    Why do you think it is a mistake?
    Common errors:
    Remember that ability is never followed by 'of'.
    Don't say 'ability of doing something', say ability to do something:

:cross:I admire people who have the ability of being positive.
    :tick:I admire people who have the ability to be positive.
    (Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary 3th. Ed.)

wandle

English - British
    Don't say 'ability of doing something', say ability to do something
    This is a good rule. Perhaps the writer initially wanted to say 'the option ... of holding', but rejected 'option' because of possible ambiguity and seized on 'ability' instead, without rethinking his phrase.

The problem could be avoided by saying 'the possibility ... of holding'.

Loob

English UK
    Hi Suprun

The sentence structure as a whole looks a bit odd (and I have practically no idea what the sentence actually means....:()

But yes, I'd have expected "ability to hold" rather than "ability of holding".

Added: no, I don't think it's a common mistake. Wandle's explanation looks highly plausible to me:).

Last edited:

teksch

English - American
    Common errors:
    Remember that ability is never followed by 'of'.
    Don't say 'ability of doing something', say ability to do something:

:cross:I admire people who have the ability of being positive.
    :tick:I admire people who have the ability to be positive.
    (Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary 3th. Ed.)
    The error here seems to be the missing commas which I have put in red.

Taking away from the usefulness of margin debt for market forecasting is the ability, through derivatives, of holding positions outside the Federal Reserve requirements for margin, which only apply to banks.

< Previous | Next >