ability

yap

spanish - english
Hello, I would like you to help me decide wehter this word (ability) is alright here to mean "faculty", authority, right:

Parents have the primary right to educate their children, and the ability to choose the educational establishment.

The text in Spanish is:
<<---->> original Spanish removed

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
  • owlman5

English-US
    If you're trying to say "authority" or "right", then "ability" isn't clear enough. There's no harm in repeating the word "right" in that sentence. If you really can't stand repeating "right" for some reason, "authority" is okay.

Last edited:

yap

spanish - english
    Thank you, I thought so, I wanted someone to reinforce me. I happen to be translating a text in English that was written by a non native of English that makes me doubt almost everything he says. Some times I'm right and some others he is. I think I would use "faculty", meaning that parents had the right, not to repeat the same word, as a synonym.

Sorry, I didn't know I couldn't use Spanish...

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome. I don't think "faculty" is a good synonym for "right" in that language. Why are you so worried about repeating the word "right" in language that describes people's rights?

Some writers seem to be afraid of repeating some noun or verb in their writing. They believe that it is a major stylistic error to repeat words. That's not true. Good speakers and writers often repeat words. It's far better to repeat a word than to use some "synonym" that doesn't really express the same idea.

Last edited:

yap

spanish - english
    Sorry, sorry. It wasn´t really a question of not repeating, I just thought "faculty" was alright. I see now I was wrong. But really, I don't even need to repeat the word:

Parents have the primary right to educate their children, and to choose the educational establishment.

owlman5

English-US
    That looks like a good solution, yap. I don't think the comma between "children" and "and" is necessary. I'd like that sentence even more if you removed the comma.

< Previous | Next >