Abirrung

studentfrench

English
Hi, I'm trying to translate this sentence:

Im Schatten solch majestätischer Überlegenheit stellte die Fabrik, überdies war sie bis zum letzten Kriegsende eine Munitionsfabrik, nur eine zar beschämende, im Grunde jedoch nichtswürdige Abirrung des Menschenverstands dar.

I'm finding Abirrung quite difficult, and the general flow of the sentence I can't seem to grasp. This is what I've put:

in the shadow of such majestic supremacy lay the factory, besides this it was a munitions factory up till the end of the last war, which was a shameful and to all intents and purposes miserable divergence from common sense.

This just doesn't make any sense to me. Any one got any better suggestions?
Thanks

• Robocop

(Swiss) German
    Im Schatten solch majestätischer Überlegenheit stellte die Fabrik, überdies war sie bis zum letzten Kriegsende eine Munitionsfabrik, nur eine zwar beschämende, im Grunde jedoch nichtswürdige Abirrung des Menschenverstands dar.
    I am not familiar with "Abirrung" either. I would write "Verirrung" instead (example: Geschmacksverirrung).
    Here we go:
    In the shadow of such majestic supremacy the factory, which had been a munitions factory till the very end of the war, represented principally nothing more than a wretched though shameful aberration (divergence?) of the human mind (common sense?).

Last edited:

trance0

Slovene
    Verirrung and Abirrung seem to be synonyms. Of course the more appropriate translation would then be 'aberration' as suggested by Robocop.

HON_Redakteur

Englisch - U.S.
    Robocop correctly identifies the interjection "...überdies war sie bis zum letzten Kriegsende eine Munitionsfabrik" as such. You, studentfrench, were wrong to continue the sentence with "which was a shameful and to all intents and purposes miserable divergence from common sense" as though the "which" referred back to the "Munitionsfabrik" (it shouldn't).

Regards,

< Previous | Next >