able + bare infinitive complementation

< Previous | Next >

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
Practice rebellion to detach yourself from the approval of the world, and in time, you’ll be able live more freely.
[...]
Maybe one day I’ll be able wash all of my socks, but even if not, I’m going to continue washing my clothes. [link]

(How to Be an Imperfectionist; S. Guise)

This, of course, may be a mistake or typo (or me simply being a perfectionist), but it happens with the same verb twice in the course of one book (granted, all the other instances of this verb do follow a common pattern of 'able to...').

Could it be a new trend though where able joins help in its optionality of being followed by a to-infinitive?

Thanks.

• Loob

English UK
    I agree with TT and boozer. Perhaps the writer was giving some illustrations of the book's title?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Perhaps the writer originally wrote "can" and then changed it to "be able" (to fit the change of tense), neglecting to add the particle.

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
    I need to get onto one of the Jellies’ ships. If I can, I might be able figure out why they’re attacking us, what they’re saying over their comms, all sorts of stuff.
    (To Sleep in a Sea of Stars; Christopher Paolini)

Just another instance of this in a new book :rolleyes:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I need to get onto one of the Jellies’ ships. If I can, I might be able figure out why they’re attacking us, what they’re saying over their comms, all sorts of stuff.
    (To Sleep in a Sea of Stars; Christopher Paolini)

Just another instance of this in a new book :rolleyes:
    Editing errors continue. That is the only instance in that book of a "to" omitted like that.

< Previous | Next >