able cabinet chiefs and a world less amenable to major foreign-policy revisions than Mr Trump suppos

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from http://www.economist.com/news/unite...mps-foreign-policy-looks-more-normal-promised

Quotation: Having refused to criticise Russia’s president, Vladimir Putin, whose authoritarian leadership Mr Trump admires, he is now digesting reports that the Russians had warning of the attack, then bombed the hospital to which its victims had been sent in an attempt to destroy the evidence.

These pressures—able cabinet chiefs and a world less amenable to major foreign-policy revisions than Mr Trump supposed—will endure. So the drift to orthodoxy will probably continue, but with two equally important caveats. First, Mr Trump’s willingness to take and abruptly abandon radical positions, like the clubhouse commander-in-chief he resembles in all ways except one (he actually is the commander-in-chie
===
Hi everyone! How to understand the bold part? I try to interpret it as below.

amenable =>
  1. ready or willing to answer, act, agree, or yield:The author was amenable to making a few changes.
These pressures that both able cabinet chiefs and a world are less willing to agree to major ... than trump supposed will endure.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    It is poorly written. It is unclear as to whether "less amenable to major foreign-policy revisions than Mr Trump supposed" qualifies "a world" or "a world" and able cabinet chiefs" - I think it is the latter

These pressures— {[able cabinet chiefs] and [a world]} who are less amenable to major foreign-policy revisions than Mr Trump supposed—will endure.

Loob

English UK
    "These pressures" are described in the previous two paragraphs. In context, it's clear that the "pressures" are
    (1) able cabinet chiefs;
    and
    (2) a world [which is] less amenable to major foreign-policy revisions than Mr Trump supposed.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Hmmm... it is a little difficult to see how able cabinet chiefs who are amenable to change would be a pressure, when there is
    • "The growing orthodoxy can be mainly attributed to the influence of Mr Trump’s impressive national-security team."

Loob

English UK
    In context, as I said, I think it's clear that "less amenable to ..."qualifies only "a world".

< Previous | Next >