Abnegation

< Previous | Next >

hem_dinesh

India- Local Dialect & English
Hello, can any one give the meaning and examples for this word.I looked meaning for this in dictionary as 'self-denial and rejection of belief or doctrine'. But i unable to understand it so please give me some examples to understand this.

• nzfauna

New Zealand, English
    Personnally, I've never heard this word before.

According to what dictionary.com says, to abnegate = to relinquish something/to give up something (e.g. some rights or conveniences).

lizzeymac

English - USA
    Hi -

In my experience (Catholic school), it's a word most often used when discussing religion. Here some more definitions and examples from various dictionaries.

WordNet Dictionary
    abnegation
    1. [n] renunciation of your own interests in favor of the interests of others (in favor of another person's interests)2. [n] the denial and rejection of a doctrine or belief; "abnegation of the Holy Trinity"

Webster's 1913 Dictionary
    abnegations n. [L. abnegatio]
    a denial; a renunciation.

With abnegation of God, of his honor, and of religion,they may retain the friendship of the court.
    John Knox, The History of the Reformation in Scotland
    edit - This quote refers to a conflict between a priest and a king - the king believed he was above God's law. The priest must make a choice - if he wished to keep in the friendship of the king, he must renounce God, his own honor, and his religion. lizzeymac
    http://www.hyperdictionary.com/search.aspx?define=abnegation&sourceid=Mozilla-search

Merriam Webster
    abnegation
    Function:noun
    Etymology: Late Latin abnegation-, abnegatio, from Latin abnegare to refute, from ab- + negare to deny — more at negate
    Date: 14th century
    : denial; especially : self-denial
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Abnegation

The Oxford Pocket Dictionary of Current English 2008

abnegation n.
    the act of renouncing or rejecting something: abnegation of political law-making power.
    self-denial.

Dictionary.com
    abnegate
    –verb (used with object), -gat·ed, -gat·ing.
    1.to refuse or deny oneself (some rights, conveniences, etc.); reject; renounce.
    2.to relinquish; give up.
    [Origin: 1650–60; < L abnegātus denied (ptp. of abnegāre). See ab-, negate]
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=abnegation

I hope this helps.
    L

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    Hi Hem, you really need to get the habit of typing in some of the text where you find the words in use. We can't help you properly without that information.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    As suzi_br has said, the rules of this forum ask that you always provide context with your questions, hem_dinesh. That means at least a sentence containing the word or phrase in question. You are also required to ask specific questions, which includes explaining exactly what it is that you do not understand. Otherwise we end up in the position, which the rules again forbid, of acting as a substitute for your own dictionary and internet research.

It is good that you looked this up in a dictionary before posting this question, but in a situation such as this you need to tell us exactly what it is you do not understand about the definition you found. Do you not understand the word "self-denial" or "rejection" or "belief" or "doctrine"? Did you try looking up those words in the dictionary?

Brioche

Australia English
    As suzi_br has said, the rules of this forum ask that you always provide context with your questions, hem_dinesh. That means at least a sentence containing the word or phrase in question. You are also required to ask specific questions, which includes explaining exactly what it is that you do not understand. Otherwise we end up in the position, which the rules again forbid, of acting as a substitute for your own dictionary and internet research.

It is good that you looked this up in a dictionary before posting this question, but in a situation such as this you need to tell us exactly what it is you do not understand about the definition you found. Do you not understand the word "self-denial" or "rejection" or "belief" or "doctrine"? Did you try looking up those words in the dictionary?
    This comment does not strike me as being particularly helpful.

It is not possible to simple insert a dictionary definition in place of a particular word. Certain words fit only in certain contexts.

One definition of sight is "the range of vision".

However, if I say to my beloved "You are a sight", it will not be as well received as "You are a vision".

W. S. Gilbert [of Gilbert & Sullivan fame] once asked "If I say 'I admire your ruddy complexion', is that the same as saying 'I like your bloody cheek' ?"

< Previous | Next >