aboard vs go into(on)

kansi

japanese
While we were aboard the ship, a fight broke out among the sailors and one man was tossed overboard.
While we went into (or went on) the ship,a fight broke out among the sailors and one man was tossed overboard.

any difference in meaning?
it seems like they have the exact same meaning and how often they are used and how formal and how hackneyed they are seem same.
it just depends on personal preference?

• Chez

English English
    Not at all.

'aboard' the ship means the same as 'on the ship'.

'While' tells you that both things happened at the same time: we were aboard the ship and a fight broke out.

'went into' is wrong.
    'went on' is possible, but 'while we were going on' would be more likely. With either of these and the word 'white' its meaning would be 'as we were walking onto the ship, a fight broke out'.

So in the first sentence you are already on the ship when the fight broke out.
    In the second sentence, is is as you are walking (up the gangway) onto the ship, the fight broke out.

kentix

English - U.S.
    This sentence has the same meaning as number 2.

While we were boarding the ship, a fight broke out among the sailors and one man was tossed overboard.

kansi

japanese
    Not at all.

'aboard' the ship means the same as 'on the ship'.

'While' tells you that both things happened at the same time: we were aboard the ship and a fight broke out.

'went into' is wrong.
    'went on' is possible, but 'while we were going on' would be more likely. With either of these and the word 'white' its meaning would be 'as we were walking onto the ship, a fight broke out'.

So in the first sentence you are already on the ship when the fight broke out.
    In the second sentence, is is as you are walking (up the gangway) onto the ship, the fight broke out.
    Thank you!oh okay I see. I am clear where I misunderstood.
    then the question should be:
    While we were aboard the ship, a fight broke out among the sailors and one man was tossed overboard.
    While we were on the ship, a fight broke out among the sailors and one man was tossed overboard.

any difference in meaning?

< Previous | Next >