aboard

Qomi

Turkland/Turkish
Today many people believe that UFOs are spacecraft from worlds beyond the solar systems. Aboard them are believed to be strange beings who have come to study us.

Do you any word which can be an alternative to "aboard" in this sentence?

Last edited:
  • Qomi

Turkland/Turkish
    On board them...
    On these UFOs... (or just: On them...)

I guess you could change the sentence around a bit, and say:

Flying these UFOs are believed to be strange beings...
    Is "flying" enough to convey the same meaning? Can you evaluate the following sentence, please?

The ones who fly these UFOs are believed to be strange beings who have come to study us.

In your sentence, there seems to be a "subject" missing? In fact, what made me confused is:

What does "who" refer to?

KHS

Is "flying" enough to convey the same meaning? Can you evaluate the following sentence, please?

The ones who fly these UFOs are believed to be strange beings who have come to study us.

In your sentence, there seems to be a "subject" missing? In fact, what made me confused is:

What does "who" refer to?
    My sentence follows a regular (if not used with great frequency) pattern. See if you understand this sentence:

Dancing the tango tonight will be Mr. X and Mrs. Y.

In your sentence, who would refer to beings. In your sentence, I might substitute creatures for ones.

Qomi

Turkland/Turkish
    No, this follows a pattern. See if you understand this sentence:

Dancing the tango tonight will be Mr. X and Mrs. Y.

In your sentence, who would refer to beings.
    Does this sentence mean:

The ones who will dance the tango tonight will be Mr. X and Mrs. Y. ?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Today many people believe that UFOs are spacecraft from worlds beyond the solar systems carrying strange beings who have come to study us.

< Previous | Next >