About a complex sentence

< Previous | Next >

Microctg

India
It has been too tough for me to understand the sentence below underlined. Could someone help me, and rephrase the sentence in a simple way? I've got the structure of the sentence too complicated. Thanks in advance for the help.

"After the Paris attack last November, some Turkish schools had mourning ceremonies that lasted a full day. Buildings sported the tricolor flag, people lit candles in solidarity with the victims and hung pictures in condemnation of the senseless violence. This was despite the fact that, when a similar number of people were killed at a peace rally in Ankara the month before, the ripples were hardly felt by the rest of Europe." (The Guardian)

(Source: Where is Ankara’s ‘Je suis’ moment? | Liz Cookman) (*see the 2nd Para)

• dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    This was despite the fact that, when a similar number of people were killed at a peace rally in Ankara the month before, these deaths almost went unnoticed by the rest of Europe.

The author is comparing the responses to (1) the Paris attack last November; and (2) the similar number of people killed at a peace rally in Ankara. There was a huge response to (1), while, according to the author, little response to (2).

Microctg

India
    This was despite the fact that, when a similar number of people were killed at a peace rally in Ankara the month before, these deaths almost went unnoticed by the rest of Europe.

The author is comparing the responses to (1) the Paris attack last November; and (2) the similar number of people killed at a peace rally in Ankara. There was a huge response to (1), while, according to the author, little response to (2).
    My attempt:

1. This was despite the fact that the ripples(those deaths in Ankara) were hardly felt by the rest of Europe, when a similar number of people were killed at a peace rally in Ankara the month before. (Am I right?)

2. Here `This' = Buildings sported the tricolor flag, people lit candles in solidarity with the victims and hung pictures in condemnation of the senseless violence. (Am I right?)

Last edited:

Microctg

India
    'Although people in Europe hardly reacted when a similar number were killed in Ankara a month earlier'.
    Thank you for your valuable comment that more helped me understand the part than ever.

But in the original sentence, does the subject 'This' mean: Buildings sported the tricolor flag, people lit candles in solidarity with the victims and hung pictures in condemnation of the senseless violence.

"After the Paris attack last November, some Turkish schools had mourning ceremonies that lasted a full day. Buildings sported the tricolor flag, people lit candles in solidarity with the victims and hung pictures in condemnation of the senseless violence. This was despite the fact that, when a similar number of people were killed at a peace rally in Ankara the month before, the ripples were hardly felt by the rest of Europe."

< Previous | Next >