about a 'official'

< Previous | Next >

woolim

I want to know about the exact meaning of a 'official' as a noun.

In dictionary, it is said that as follow.
Noun : An official is a person who holds a position of authority in an organization.

Does underlined phrase mean high-rank position or general position?

• Andygc

British English
    Which dictionary gave you that inaccurate definition? Does the Wordreference dictionary help? official

PS. I suggest that you read both Random House and Collins definitions.

MrMuselk

English - South East England
    High ranking officials: An official, as found in its definition, is a person elected or appointed to an office, e.g. a General; he is a high ranking soldier who takes control over a front in the army. (Try not to confuse an official with an officer; an official is a person who is elected to an office, while an officer is a person who is elected to any position of authority, for example, a lieutenant, a sergeant, or a captain) Cross-Posted (For the 1st time today, more to come)

woolim

High ranking officials: An official, as found in its definition, is a person elected or appointed to an office, e.g. a General; he is a high ranking soldier who takes control over a front in the army. (Try not to confuse an official with an officer; an official is a person who is elected to an office, while an officer is a person who is elected to any position of authority, for example, a lieutenant, a sergeant, or a captain) Cross-Posted (For the 1st time today, more to come)
    Thank you for your tip.
    And, I have one more question.

How do we call the ordinary positioned except official (not appointed, not elected)?

Andygc

British English
    In 30 years in the armed forces I never met a general who had been elected.

An office-holder is an official. That includes car park attendants, gas meter readers and the people sitting behind the counter in a benefits office. The word is used to describe a wide range of responsibilities. It does not imply high rank.

< Previous | Next >