About at the beginning of a sentence instead of Regarding or As to

Mark1913

Russian
Sometimes you want to say in a sentence about something mentioned early. But because it is not the subject at the moment, you want to remind one you are talking with about that thing. To remind you can say something like:

- Regarding ... (something you want to remind of), we have decided ... (so on)
- As to ... (something you want to remind of), I thing that ... (so on)

Can you please say is it all right to use the word 'about' in such cases?

For example:
- About the tree in the backyard, do not you think some of its branches could break and fall right on the wires?

I have found it was mentioned already in this question but the answer lacks of confirmation the word 'about' indeed should not be used in sentences like that, therefore I am in doubt.

Many thanks!

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "About the tree in the backyard - don't you think some of its branches could break and fall right on the wires?" :thumbsup: Note the punctuation.

Mark1913

Russian
    PaulQ, thank you for your reply, I will pay attention to punctuation!

Do I understand your thumbs up correctly you confirm it is all right to use 'about' in the way I did?
    If so, does it mean the questioner in the link I provided was incorrect saying you cannot use 'about' in such a sentence?

Many thanks!

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Do I understand your thumbs up correctly you confirm it is all right to use 'about' in the way I did?
    Yes.
    If so, does it mean the questioner in the link I provided was incorrect saying you cannot use 'about' in such a sentence?
    "About the tree in the backyard" follows the same patter as the other examples: it is an introductory fragment. It is used colloquially. It is informal/casual. It is a shortened form of "Listen, because I am going to talk to you about the tree in the backyard.

It is not the same as regarding / concerning / in relation to / as to that are used in other contexts and cause different meanings in the main clause, none of them are truly interchangeable.

< Previous | Next >