About chess?

Peter Tran

"Chess is a two-player board game played on a chessboard with sixteen pieces: one king, one queen, two rooks, two knights, two bishops, and eight pawns moving
differently.
" cite from a lesson

I think something wrong with this sentence because it should be sixteen pieces on each side instead. Does it sound all right to you? Please give me a hand.

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    I agree with you, Peter. This sentence does make it sound like there are sixteen pieces total. The sentence could say "on a chessboard with two sets of sixteen pieces," for instance. That might be clearer. But these kinds of things can be very difficult to express in words, whereas a picture would be very clear.

Just as a side-note: there is no such noun as "a cite." The correct noun is "a citation."

Peter Tran

I agree with you, Peter. This sentence does make it sound like there are sixteen pieces total. The sentence could say "on a chessboard with two sets of sixteen pieces," for instance. That might be clearer. But these kinds of things can be very difficult to express in words, whereas a picture would be very clear.

Just as a side-note: there is no such noun as "a cite." The correct noun is "a citation."
    Might I say cited from a lesson?

wandle

English - British
    Yes, I agree I would have been clearer if it had said there were sixteen pieces on each side.
    Alternatively: 'with sixteen pieces a side'.
    This means the same as 'with sixteen pieces on each side'.

Note the spelling: here 'sixteen pieces a side' is correct, 'sixteen pieces aside' is wrong.

< Previous | Next >