About dark L

< Previous | Next >

nguyen dung

Vietnamese
In sentence: ''Will I be able to find a job in Australia?'' I hear:'' Will I be /ei/bluh to find a job in Australia?'' Here, I hear the dark part of the ''L'' going after the light ''L''.In normal case, the dark part goes first in L consonant. Is there any case the dark part goes at the same time with light part of L( meaning that the uh part pronouced at the time the tongue tip touching the teeth or alveolar edge)?

• Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    I don't know about a "dark L", but for me, "able" is pronounced "ei-bul" (where the "u" is a schwa), not "ei-bluh".

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Dark L and light L are linguistic terms for different pronunciations of "L". Native English speakers do not use the terms. Only linguists do. I investigated dark L last year in replying to a question in this forum. Before that I had never heard the term.

You don't use both in pronouncing a single L: you use one or the other.

https://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~krussll/phonetics/narrower/dark-l.html

That is a link to a linguistics web page explaining the two L's. Here is some information from that page:

1. An L at the start of a syllable (before the vowel) uses clear L (light L), while an L following some vowels (i,u,schwa) is pronounced as dark L.

2. The page ends in this quote, saying dark L is just like light L with an added sound:

"So, essentially dark [ɫ] is just a clear [l] pronounced simultaneously with a velar approximant [ɰ] -- just like [w] is really lip-rounding with a simultaneous [ɰ]."

< Previous | Next >