about fellow citizens

hly2004

Banned
chinese
Hi, everyone:

In my language, there's an idiom saying" Two fellow citizens meet in a foreign land, their eyes swell with tears" I think it's an idiom used to describe the emotional link between two persons from the same place, though they are strangers.

I wonder if there's is simliar expression in english, if there's no, how can I express this meaning in a way that is more like an idiom to native speakers' ears.

• Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    Hi, everyone:

In my language, there's an idiom saying" Two fellow citizens meet in a foreign land, their eyes swell with tears" I think it's an idiom used to describe the emotional link between two persons from the same place, though they are strangers.

I wonder if there's is simliar expression in english, if there's no, how can I express this meaning in a way that is more like an idiom to native speakers' ears.
    No, I don't believe there's an idiom for that, but I can invent a few on the spot that might send a similar meeting:

A person will always recognize a fellow countryman [even if they are strangers].

A [enter nationality] can always tell if a person is [enter nationality] [even if they are strangers].

< Previous | Next >