[about grammar] why don't you go wait outside?

henryluo

chinese
Hello,everyone. I know this a correct sentence, but I have problem to understand it in grammar way, that "go" and "wait " are verbs, so I think it should be "go and wait" or "go to wait", can you guys help me with that? thank you very much.

• nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Hello,everyone. I know this a correct sentence, but I have problem to understand it in grammar way, that "go" and "wait " are verbs, so I think it should be "go and wait" or "go to wait", can you guys help me with that? thank you very much.
    I wonder if this has something to do with this kind of sentence:
    --Go figure!

Because I don't think it sounds too strange.....

Trisia

Romanian
    Hi,

I think we're dealing with spoken English here. I'm suspecting it might be AE.

Go eat your veggies!

"Go wait" sounds perfectly fine to me, though I can't really explain why. Go figure :D

jennball

USA English
    'Go wait outside'. 'Go help your sister'. 'Go find the remote control'. All of them sound fine to me, but now that you point it out, Henryluo, there does seem to be a missing 'and' in all of them. Many (even most?) AE speakers have gotten used to leaving it out.

mgarizona

US - American English
    Not too new, not too AE. Here's a few OED gleanings:

"Now thou maist go pack" (Spenser, 1591)
    "I bid him go take care of ..." (De Foe, 1724)
    "I don't like a man you have to climb up to go get at." (Joyce, 1922)

(I meant historically. The OED does list this as "Now colloq and U.S.")

henryluo

chinese
    'Go wait outside'. 'Go help your sister'. 'Go find the remote control'. All of them sound fine to me, but now that you point it out, Henryluo, there does seem to be a missing 'and' in all of them. Many (even most?) AE speakers have gotten used to leaving it out.
    Thanks very much ,another question,What does AE stand for?

Trisia

Romanian
    Dear Henryluo,

If you will kindly read the sticky (the thread that's on top of all the others), you'll see that the last page has a list of accepted abbreviations (the ones we can use in the forum).

Best wishes, Trisia.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    And so here seems to be another older English usage (like the Chaucerian "guess") which seems to have disappeared in its place of origin, but which is still maintained on the west shore of the pond. It is funny how many "Americanisms" are really "Englishisms" that the English have forgotten.

< Previous | Next >