About handwriting: 字、安、etc.


Castellano/Catalán - Barcelon

As I explained here, I was wondering if you could tell me which one is the "mainstream" form in handwriting (if any), or the most common (if any), or if maybe some are just used in computer fonts and not in handwriting; the kanji is just an example that contains the radical the question is about:


Thanks in advance.
  • Flaminius

    coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית

    Handwriting by ordinary people includes a certain range of variations* in shape of radicals and the placement of strokes. It is hard to tell what the mainstream shape for a letter, but I think I can tell what I thing is good, allowable or passable.

    In this thread, you are asking about the variations in the radical called ukammuri. As the name suggests, this radical is the top element of a Chinese character and its shape is similar to the katakana ウ. The mormative shape of this tadical is a straight first stroke downwards, a second straight stroke, and the third stroke starting with a horizontal bar that ends with a tilted downward finish. The first stroke can tilt leftwards.

    *Outside schools, that is. Teachers in the general education system as well as those in language schools find faults with the minutest details of students’ way of shaping letters. I assume their intention is a good one; preparing students for the society where messy handwritings are loathed as indicative of the messy character of the person. Unfortunately, what is historically considered good handwriting allows for greater variations than the rules that teachers seem to follow when they dock a few points for the angle of this stroke or the distance between this and that elements.
    < Previous | Next >