about six hours earlier

< Previous | Next >

LQZ

Mandarin
On wednesday afternoon, after Mrs. Clinton's arrival about six hours earlier, and after the Chinese had made commitments to guarantee his safety, the American Ambassador, Gary Locke, asked Mr. Chen if he was ready to leave the embassy. ---the New York Times

Dear all,

I have trouble with the bold part. I have no idea what time it refers to. Could you please explain to me? Thanks.

LQZ

• cycloneviv

English - Australia
    On Wednesday morning the American Ambassador asked Mr. Chen if he was ready to leave the embassy.

Six hours before that, Mrs Clinton had arrived.

We are told that before the Ambassador posed his question the Chinese had made commitments to guarantee Chen's safety, but I don't think the sentence makes it clear whether that took place between the arrival of Mrs Clinton and the posing of the question or prior to her arrival.

I hope that helps. :)

LQZ

Mandarin
    On Wednesday morning the American Ambassador asked Mr. Chen if he was ready to leave the embassy.

Six hours before that, Mrs Clinton had arrived.

We are told that before the Ambassador posed his question the Chinese had made commitments to guarantee Chen's safety, but I don't think the sentence makes it clear whether that took place between the arrival of Mrs Clinton and the posing of the question or prior to her arrival.

I hope that helps. :)
    Thanks, cycloneviv. That did help. :)

< Previous | Next >