About Spring / весна sayings

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by davdov, Mar 17, 2014.

1. davdov Member

Marbella Spain
    croatian
    Hello!

I try to find a good expression to say something like "it feels like spring"
    What do you think about something like: "В воздухе пахнет весной" ? or is there any saying about the beginning of spring?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
  2. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    This one is very well (also ...запахло весной). Usually this is said exactly about the beginning of spring, when the snow starts thawing.
    Other variants: повеяло весной, (в воздухе) веет весной, чувствуется запах весны.

3. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    From my POV, you have to provide a bit more context. What exactly you want the expression to convey? Whom do you want to address it to (is it a love letter or an informal email to a business partner?)?

Without any context, sounds good if you want to say "air smells like spring".

Cross-posted with Maroseika...

4. davdov Member

Marbella Spain
    croatian
    Great, thanks a lot Maroseika, its exactly the expression i was looking for! (when the snow starts thawing)

5. davdov Member

Marbella Spain
    croatian
    I want to send a pic of my garden to one of my friend in Moscow, showing him that the spring is coming . I think what Maroseika wrote "запахло весной" sounds good. But if you have other sayings about it, i would like to hear it :) . Thank you

6. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    :thumbsup:

7. Drink

Drink Senior Member

New England
    English - New England, Russian - Moscow
    I recommend omitting "в воздухе". Just "пахнет/зпахло весной" is enough. Another alternative is "в воздухе запах весны", but in this case "в воздухе" is required.

8. Slavianophil Senior Member

Russian
    "В окно повеяло весною..." - строчка из стихотворения Плещеева.

9. davdov Member

Marbella Spain
    croatian
    Thanks a lot to everyone! I appreciate all your ideas and solutions :):thumbsup: