About The Double "C"

lluvioso1

Türkçe
Hi my friends;

What I want to ask you about: In Russian, there are some words that have double "c" as: ру́сский while many words have single "c" in their structure: стул.
Previously, I was thinking that the double "c"s were used for the double pronunciation of the sound [s], but I guess, there is no difference between the pronunciation of the single "c" and the double "c" 's. Both of them, I think, pronounced as a single [s] sound. Then, the "cc" works for what? Or it is just a thingy that does not depend on any rule and simply, I am supposed to memorize this type?

Thanks in advance. :)

• ahvalj

Рус-ск-и-й. When the root ending on -с- meets the suffix beginning on the same consonant, we get this double -сс-. 1000 years ago they were separated by a vowel: рус-ьск-ъ (ь and ъ were vowels then).

Maroseika

Russian
    There are also some words, where double -cc- is pronounced in the root. I think all of them are loaned words: вассал, эссе, римесса, меласса, месса, лассо, etc.

igusarov

Russian
    but I guess, there is no difference between the pronunciation of the single "c" and the double "c" 's. Both of them, I think, pronounced as a single sound.
    This is not always true. Yes, there are cases where double-s is pronounced as single s. But there are a lot of examples where double-s should be pronounced as "long s", otherwise the word would sound wrong. Examples are "ссадина", "рассада", "касса", "ассоциация", "бассейн", etc.

Another reason is that there are a few words where dropping an "s" would alter the meaning. Those words should also be pronounced with distinctive "long s".
    "судить - ссудить" = "to judge - to lend".
    "колос - колосс" = "an ear (of a plant) - the colossus".
    "вынеся - вынесся" = "having taken out - have run from".
    "садить - ссадить" = "to plant - to eject from some vehicle". Note, "садить" is an illiterate colloquial form.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >