About the "stressed words" in "pausing within sentence"

JerryLCC

Chinese
Hello guys,

I've viewed a website recently about the Pausing within sentence. And I have a question if you can explain it to me a little bit.

In that website, they mentioned that "to emphasize the last content word" in a thought groups.

But in the following examples, for instance, "I got a new puppy, but now I need to train her!”

in my opinion, I think either the "puppy" could be stress or the "new" could be stressed too, it depends on the situation or speaker's intended meaning. So, I am a little confused that whether the stressed words are interchangeable or not, which means, people don't have to follow the rule which is "to emphasize the last content word"" before a pausing instead of stressing the word based on their intended meaning.

Thank you

Jerry

• Valun

uk/ru
    i would say: I got a new púppy - it sounds normally.

But i also can say: I got a néw puppy - but in the group where the peoples know what is going on. And it will be sounding with humor. (because never mind what is with old one. :) )

You can say: I got a néw púppy - this will be sounding like introducing. (but to whom? :) )
    (i think so).

Last edited:

dadane

English (London/Essex)
    Presumably, the comma in the sentence represents the pause. If this is the case, then the pause can alter the tone of the sentence, it doesn't change the underlying meaning in this case, very often it can. Where the stress is placed in a sentence can be very idiomatic, to me, the amount of stress on 'but' is crucial. The pause pushes the stress from the left to the right half of the sentence. The question is: Is the main emphasis on whether you got a new puppy or on the fact that you have to train a new puppy?

JerryLCC

Chinese
    i would say: I got a new púppy - it sounds normally.

But i also can say: I got a néw puppy - but in the group where the peoples know what is going on. And it will be sounding with humor. (because never mind what is with old one. :) )

You can say: I got a néw púppy - this will be sounding like introducing. (but to whom? :) )
    (i think so).

Thanks, and that's what I mean, if in some particular situation, for instance, someone used to have a old puppy, or the prior one, and now he has a new one, and he just wants to emphasize the condition of that puppy, so he can say "right now, i have a NEW puppy" right?

Thanks again

< Previous | Next >