< Previous | Next >

nam0123

saudi arabia
Hello, I want to know if I can use or say:

I have done my work already, or
I have already done my work.

I have finshed my homework already.
I have already finished my homework.

I mean the use of "already" is it good in the middle or in the end of the sentence.

Moreover, I want any alterantive sentences, you can use past or present, and mean the same thing , because I don't like to use present perfect in the previous sentence.

• SoupleCommeLeVent

English UK
    You can say either but I think there is a slight difference in meaning.

I have done my work already = as an answer to a question if you want to emphasise that you have already finished the work

I have already done my work = more neutral

Edit: Now I'm not so sure that there is a difference in meaning, perhaps it depends on the context. I think I'd always say "I've" not "I have" for these sentences.

nam0123

saudi arabia
    Thanks for your help, and I wonder if you can make same sentence by using past simple and present simple without changing the meaning.

nam0123

saudi arabia
    I mean can I get the same meaning when I say.

I did my work.(past simple)
    I finished my work.(past simple)
    I finish my work.(present simple)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I did my work, I finished my work, make me want to ask when this happened.
    The communication is incomplete. They are referring to an action completed in the past and are not the same as I have done my work, I have finished my work.

I finish my work, is a somewhat strange thing to say. It is an assertion that I finish my work - perhaps as a contradiction to someone who suggests that I don't, or a contrast to someone who doesn't finish their work.

Consider:
    I have eaten my broccoli. present perfect
    I ate my broccoli. simple past
    I eat my broccoli. simple present

I wonder why nam0123 says "I don't like to use present perfect in the previous sentence."

< Previous | Next >