About the weight of food

< Previous | Next >

JerryLCC

Chinese
hello,
Hope there are still some here at this time, I wonder when we describe a market shopping list, how to descibe the food.

Do we say" buy two pounds of pork" or "one piece of meat" are those pharses correct or wrong?
What about vegatables? Do we say "buy a quarter pound eggplant" or "buy one stick eggplant"

thank you guys

• Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    You can buy meat by weight, or by the cut, or by combination of the two eg. 'thirty pounds of pork belly',

You can buy vegetables by weight, or by the piece (provided you're not buying very many). eg. 'I'd like three potatoes', or 'I'll have a ten kilo sack of potatoes'.

There's some mention of eggplant in the following: Countable, uncountable: broccoli, orange

Egmont

English - U.S.
    As Beryl wrote, it varies from one type of food to another.

However, we never use stick to describe eggplant. We would say "one eggplant" or "two eggplants" if we want to buy them by count, or we might buy eggplants by weight. (Are you perhaps thinking of a German word that resembles "stick" here? That would be "piece" in English. We would only use that if we want part of an eggplant.)

Also, you don't have to worry about the time. There are native English speakers here from around the world. When we're asleep in the U.S., someone from England or Australia is on WRF.

< Previous | Next >