About this forum

Dictionary entry: About this forum
< Previous | Next >

mkellogg

Administrator
Dictionary Editor
English - US
Hi everybody,

We have always had dictionary error reports go somewhere private. With this forum, we will be testing the handling of some error reports and suggestions here in public. :eek: We are starting with Spanish to English.

People reporting errors should be able to return here and see the status of their reports. Note that unregistered users will be able to post threads here, but they must register to respond to any thread.

Forum users: You all are welcome to state your thoughts on the current and proposed translations. I actually want to encourage it. It would be helpful to get more input about proposed changes and if you enjoy it, all the better.

Our dictionary editors have to make decisions on how to change the dictionary (or not). You will probably disagree with their decisions at times, but they are doing their best. Please be respectful.

Once updated in our system, it can take usually 1-3 months for the dictionaries that you see to be updated. It is a manual process that takes time and we only do it once there are a significant number of changes.

This is something new for us, so we will be learning and adapting as we go. Wish us luck!

Last edited:
  • TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    Hi Mike.

I was wondering if unregistered users that post here get some sort of notification when someone answers their post. I feel that, if they are not informed of people answering their question, they are not likely to come back to the site to check the post they started. Plus, I don't think that registered members are much inclined to participate knowing that their contributions won't receive any feedback from the poster.

mkellogg

Administrator
    Dictionary Editor
    English - US
    Hi,

I was wondering if unregistered users that post here get some sort of notification when someone answers their post.
    I don't think that registered members are much inclined to participate knowing that their contributions won't receive any feedback from the poster.
    Well, we need to preserve the ability of non-registered members to report errors. Before it was all hidden, but we are trying to do it in the open now. They will not get an emailed updates, so they need to remember to come back. (Many other forums work this way without email updates.) Complicating this is that unregistered members can only create threads. They cannot reply, though I might change that.

In general, I knew that there wouldn't be the interactivity here like there is in the normal forums, and that we would get much less participation. I am still hoping for some participation, though, especially when we start showing this forum to everybody. But you make a very good point. If I can get people registered before posting here, we will probably get much more participation here by regular foreros, which would be great.

swift

Dictionary Editor
    Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    People reporting errors should be able to return here and see the status of their reports. Note that unregistered users will be able to post threads here, but they must register to respond to any thread.
    Hey, @mkellogg!

Just wondering how an unregistered user could be notified of any comments on their feedback if they opt not to sign up to the forums. See e.g. the most recent report in the Spanish base: impunidad. Should an editor reply to Mr Castañeda's input, would the OP be notified in any way? Same thing here: aventura. I'm guessing @fenixpollo's comment will not prompt that person to come back and clarify their report, since they still appear to be a Guest.

If the requirement to respond to these threads is to be a registered user, is there a way to make that more obvious in the Report form? Right now, we're telling people they won't get any responses unless they register. I see that as a drawback, given the nature of this "forum," which is to provide greater visibility and transparency on the way WR deals with users' feedback. Looks like there is no other incentive to joining WR apart from being e-mailed some responses? I'd try to phrase it from a different point of view: you will be able to interact with our editors if you do! ~ or something along those lines.

Just a thought!

1571083544143.png

Last edited:

mkellogg

Administrator
    Dictionary Editor
    English - US
    Hi Swift,

I don't want to add any barriers to getting people to post suggested changes. Overall, it shouldn't be too bad. I've commented in forums where there are no notifications and had to think to go back to see if there were responses. This will be no different and anybody who wants to find their old suggestion shouldn't have too much trouble finding the forum and searching for their word.

I do like your wording, though. I'm going to change the message some.

swift

Dictionary Editor
    Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Glad I could contribute an idea! :D Thanks, Mike!

< Previous | Next >