About <this><This> Handbook

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    It's optional. "Iimportant words" are capitalized in titles, while words like "the", "of the", or "in the" are not.

So most people would use "this", but it isn't a mistake to use "This".

AliBadass

persian
    The title of of one Caillou's cartoons is ''Caillou of the Antarctic''; how do you interpret it? What's the grammar rule of such titles?

S1m0n

English
    It's a reference to Robert Falcon Scott's ill-fated 1912 expedition to the South Pole. He was known as Scott of the Antarctic, and I believe that was the title of a movie about his voyage.
    I'm not sure what your grammar rule is about. The entire unit functions as a name.

AliBadass

persian
    It's a reference to Robert Falcon Scott's ill-fated 1912 expedition to the South Pole. He was known as Scott of the Antarctic, and I believe that was the title of a movie about his voyage.
    I'm not sure what your grammar rule is about. The entire unit functions as a name.
    Thanks and by grammar rule I'm wondering if it's something like (someone) of the (someplace).

S1m0n

English
    Tarzan lives in the jungle. You could also say "comes from", but the jungle isn't where he was born. It's where he lives now, (in the time of the books & movies.)
    But this formula doesn't really track origin. It tracks significance. Scott was famous for exploring the Antarctic. He didn't come from or live there, except while his expedition was going on. The 'of the antarctic' part reminds people what this particular Scott was famous for doing.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    As S1m0n says, in some titles it simply means <Someone> famous for a connection with <Somewhere>. Scott of the Antarctic, Clive of India, Lawrence of Arabia and Montgomery of Alamein fall into this category; none of them originated in those places.

< Previous | Next >