About transitions of contrast using at beginning

JerryLCC

Chinese
Hello,

I just check many threads about "however, in contrast, otherwise, although, nevertheless, and such transitions", but most of those transitions were used in the middle of the sentence such as "Tom can work in the smokiest of bars without any problems. In contrast, Joe says that it makes him feel ill"

What if I want to use it in the beginning of a sentence. For instance, "Home cooked meals are economical and afforable. I only need to expense 10 bucks but I can have a nice dinner. However/ In contrast/ Yet/ But/ On the other hand/ Still ..., Eat out may cost much more than 10 bucks. I need to pay extra tips and gasoline for only one dinner."

My sentence structure is "Supporting idea 1, experience 1, transition of contrast, supporting idea 2, experience 2."

I just want to make sure that those transition are using correctly.

Thank you

• ceznaldo

English - UK
    Hello,

I have just checked many threads about "however, in contrast, otherwise, although, nevertheless, and such transitions", but most of those transitions were are used in the middle of the sentence such as "Tom can work in the smokiest of bars without any problems. In contrast, Joe says that it makes him feel ill"

What if I want to use it in the beginning of a sentence. For instance, "Home cooked meals are economical (do you mean cheap?) and afforable. I only need to expense spend 10 bucks but I can have a nice dinner. However/ In contrast/ Yet/ But/ On the other hand/ Still ..., Eeating out may cost much more than 10 bucks. I also need to pay extra tips and gasoline for only one dinner."

My sentence structure is "Supporting idea 1, experience 1, transition of contrast, supporting idea 2, experience 2."

I just want to make sure that those transition are using correctly.

Thank you

However v. in contrast is here
    Yet v. but is here
    However, nevertheless and others is here

Regards to the placing of the words you can say
    "In contrast to doing x,y and z, it is also possible to do a,b and c."
    "In contrast to eating out it is cheaper to eat at home" (rather fomal though)

Otherwise I would say that the "transition of contrast" would as you say ordinarily come between, and in the middle of, the two statements.
    Many think that 'but' or 'yet' cannot be used at the start of a sentence, thats what I was told at school but I am unsure of the validity of this. However you can always use 'however' instead or even use a comma rather than a full stop with the previous sentence.

< Previous | Next >