'...about which there is'

reineblanc

Korean

Hello Everyone.

I am reading <The defendant> by G.K. Chesterton. In an essay titled <A defence of Penny dreadfuls>, I am faced with a sentence I cannot understand exactly...

It goes like : "There is no class of vulgar publications about which there is, to my mind, more utterly ridiculous exaggeration and misconception than the current boys' literature of the lowest stratum." I don't understand how the two phrase ('There is no....' and 'more uttely ridiculous...' ) are combined by 'about which there is'.

I can see that, through the whole passages, the author wants to emphasize the necessity of so-called 'vulgar/popular literature'. Can anyone show me what this sentence means, by dividing the sentence into several sentences or phraphrasing it?

Thanks in advance.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Yes, I can see why you're confused. Let's throw away some words and keep the same structure:

There are no publications about which there is more exaggeration than boys' literature.

The meaning is this, building up towards the original sentence:

People exaggerate about many kinds of literature.
    But they exaggerate more about boys' literature than about girls' or men's literature.
    Boys' literature is the class of publications that they exaggerate most about.
    The class of publications that they exaggerate most about is boy's literature.
    There are no other publications that they exaggerate more about.
    There are no publications about which there is more exaggeration.
    There are no publications about which there is more exaggeration than boys' literature.

If this is clear, now you can add on all the rest of the original words.

reineblanc

Korean
    Thanks entangledbank! That's exactly the kind of answer that I needed.
    Now with your kind explanation... I can see the structure of the sentence.

Have a nice day! (Though it is late at night where I live..)
    :D

< Previous | Next >