"above mentioned figures" vs "figures mentioned above"

taked4700

japanese japan
Hi,

I'd like to ask you what differences you see between "the figures mentioned above" and "the above mentioned figures".

Which is more idomatic in the following context?

The answers are 1122334455 and 99887766. Don't forget to exclude the influence of the geothermal factors that come from the activities of the volcanoes in the area. You could obtain ( the above mentioned figures / the figures mentioned above ) by using the formula-1.

Thanks in advance.

• Agustín.traductor

Español, Argentina
    There is a grammar difference:
    - above mentioned figures: Here, "above" modifies "mentioned figures". "Mentioned figures" work as a unit. Inside, "mentioned" modifies "figures".
    - figures mentioned above: Here, "figures" is the head of the nominal construction. "Mentioned above" is a postmodifier; inside it, "above" is modifying "mentioned".

Hope it's clear!

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    I'd like to ask you what differences you see between "the figures mentioned above" and "the above mentioned figures".

Which is more idomatic in the following context?

The answers are 1122334455 and 99887766. Don't forget to exclude the influence of the geothermal factors that come from the activities of the volcanoes in the area. You could obtain ( the above mentioned figures / the figures mentioned above ) by using the formula-1.
    Your question is not as simple as it might first appear (appear at first :) ).

This appears to be academic writing, which is often self-consciously formal. In that formal style, above mentioned (or above-mentioned) figures would be normal and idiomatic. Yet you have presented us a context in which the writing is standard, educated conversational English rather than very formal English. The figures mentioned above is stylistically more in keeping with that style.

I prefer shawnee's suggestion: these results.

taked4700

japanese japan
    Thank you, Shawnee, Agustín.traductor and Cuchuflete.

I understand 'these results' is the best choice because it shows the figures are the things you got by some calculations.

I wonder what makes the expression "the above mentioned figures" fit in with formal writings more than "the figures mentioned above".

Thanks in advance.

Elwintee

England English
    There is a grammar difference:
    - above mentioned figures: Here, "above" modifies "mentioned figures". "Mentioned figures" work as a unit. Inside, "mentioned" modifies "figures".
    - figures mentioned above: Here, "figures" is the head of the nominal construction. "Mentioned above" is a postmodifier; inside it, "above" is modifying "mentioned".

Hope it's clear!
    Sorry, Agustin, I disagree with your statement that: "..."above" modifies "mentioned figures". 'Above-mentioned' (usually with the hypthen) is a set adjectival phrase modifying 'figures'. 'Mentioned figures' without the 'above-' sounds completely wrong.

< Previous | Next >