above the knee

perpend

Banned
American English
I'm bringing shorts above the knee back into fashion.

... kurze Hosen oberhalb der Knien ...

Is that close? Thanks for tips.

• Hutschi

kurze Hosen oberhalb der Knie ...
    It has to be genitive case. See http://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Knie

What exactly means "above" in your case?
    "Oberhalb der Knie" means "in the upper section of the leg between the knee and the hip". (= Im Bereich des Oberschenkels.)

We have also "über den Knien" ("über"+Dativ) - in this case it covers the knee and you mean the area covering the knees.

Last edited:

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Thanks Hutschi. It's the section between the hip and knee.

"oberhalb der Knie" seems to fit. I didn't know if in German it would be plural, thus my suggestion: oberhalb der Knien

Or would that be: oberhalb den Knien

Either way, I'm happy with "oberhalb der Knie". Thanks again.

Hutschi

You are welcome.

It is "oberhalb der Knie"=Genitiv, Plural. - So you are right with plural :) .
    I sent you a link to the declination table in my first posting. Do not confuse "der Knie" with nominative singular.
    Nominative singulare is "das Knie".

In singular genitive singular is "oberhalb des Knies" - but in your context it has to be genitive plural.

It may be spoken in two ways in your sentence:
    Plural: [ˈkniːə], auch: [kniː] http://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Knie
    I prefer the first one - as diphthong.

In singular it is [kniː], except genitive, in genitive you can speak it optionally as diphthong, too.

Last edited:

Thomas W.

Deutsch
    I'm bringing shorts above the knee back into fashion.

... kurze Hosen oberhalb der Knien ...

Is that close? Thanks for tips.
    What exactly do you want to know? How to say "above the knee" or the German expression for shorts that end above the knee?
    If it is the latter, then I would probably leave it at "kurze Hosen", because that implies that they end above the knee (otherwise it would be "halblange Hosen"). If you want to be more precise/explicit than you probably would have to say "kurze Hosen, die oberhalb des Knies enden" ("kurze Hosen oberhalb der Knie" does not work in German, because this would indicate location, not length).

Hutschi

I understood it as location, and this fits well with "to bring into fashion" as synonym for "to bring in form" - but not to fashion as in "Fashion week".

So please provide context for this, maybe I misunderstood it.

1. to bring it into fashion (market) - Thomas gave the solution
    2. to bring it in form/to adjust it - my solution

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >