Above

Hi all,
Can I use ABOVE on this place in the sentence?

And that is why the itinerary includes above the most renowned sites also the spots related to famous personalities.

Context:
It is a tour over Scotland based on discovering the interesting places and learning more about local culture and history. That is why the itinerary includes above the most renowned sites also the spots related to famous personalities, such as Burns´ Cottage.

• Matching Mole

England, English
    It sounds awkward to me, although I can't say that it's wrong as such. Usually the phrasing would be: "the above itinerary includes the most renowned sites", or "the itinerary above", which sounds a little less formal.

Æsop

Banned
    English--American (upstate NY)
    And that is why the itinerary includes above the most renowned sites also the spots related to famous personalities.

Yes, this is confusing. It would have to be "the above itinerary" or "the itinerary above." However, this is also a run-on sentence that needs more than just a comma after "renowned." You may not use "also" as a conjunction in this situation. You may say:
    And that is why the itinerary above includes the most renowned sites and the spots related to famous personalities. or
    And that is why the itinerary above includes the most renowned sites as well as the spots related to famous personalities.
    I recommend the simple and more direct "and" over the wordier "as well as."

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I may be missing something but I don't know for sure what "above" is referring to.
    What is "above"?
    Is it something about the itinerary?
    Is is something about the renowned sites?

I´m not sure if I explained it right. I want to say that the itinerary includes the most renowned sites and what more, also the spots related to famous personalities. I wanted to express "and what more" by "above the most renowned sites...".
    Or should I use "besides"? I´m not sure about using "above" in this case...

That is why the itinerary includes besides the most renowned sites also the spots related to famous personalities.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    AHA - a little light has gone on in my head :)
    I think you want to say something like this.

And that is why the intinerary includes places related to famous personalities, for example Burns' cottage, as well as the most famous and historic sites.

johndot

English - England
    Just an idea:

Therefore the itinerary includes the most renowned sites, and on top of that, the places relating to famous people in history.

(Famous personalities sounds like people on television!)

< Previous | Next >