abroad / overseas

< Previous | Next >

Akasaka

Japanese
Hello everyone,
Can I use "overseas" instead of abroad here?
I want to study abroad next year.

Thanks in advance.

• The Slippery Slide

British English
    They're not synonymous.

Overseas involves being over seas. Abroad just means in any other country.

So if you are in the USA, Canada is abroad, but it is not overseas, because it has a land border.

Akasaka, you and I are both in Japan, which has no land borders, so EVERYwhere is abroad AND overseas. (Which part of Japan are you in, by the way?)

Akasaka

Japanese
    I understand the two words are not synonymous. Is the following sentence grammatical?

I want to study overseas next year.

BTW, I live in Kansai area.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hi TT, what do you mean by textspeak if I may ask ?
    Thanks
    It's the language used by people who send each other text messages. It involves highly abbreviated spellings and is expressly forbidden in a forum which is going to take language a bit seriously. One can't really put it more prissily than that.

olliemae

New Zealand/America, English
    Slightly off-topic, but this reminds me how my university's "Study Abroad" department had to change their name to "International Studies". Frat boys kept stealing the sign, reading it as "study a broad".

scotu

Chicago English
    Slightly off-topic, but this reminds me how my university's "Study Abroad" department had to change their name to "International Studies". Frat boys kept stealing the sign, reading it as "study a broad".
    :D

Actually not so off topic, It seems to me that both "abroad" and "overseas" are seldom used today*. Gringos tend to use "international" or the specific country or area.

* "overseas operations" is used in business but even this is being replaced by "international."

< Previous | Next >