abscond vs escape vs flee vs elope vs run away

< Previous | Next >

bradx

arabic
abscond vs escape vs flee vs elope vs run away <——-Topic added to list by moderator (Florentia52)——->

I found that these verbs have almost the same meaning, I don't know if they are interchangeable or not.
For instance : I escaped from the beast. ( because I was afraid).
It is just an example. could you please explain the proper context to each verb.
( ps: I have already looked them up in the dictionnary but still don't grasp the idea )
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Chez

English English
    elope: to run away (from parents, usually) in order to marry someone. (Very specific meaning.)

flee: to run (fast) from danger/from a person. Usually involves fear/danger
    escape: to free yourself from something/someone.

Examples:
    I fled from the beast (I ran away as fast as I could – because I was afraid)
    I escaped from the beast (the beast had nearly caught me, but I ran away and climbed up a tree – so I got away from it)

abscond: to escape/get away from somewhere you ought to be. Usually used in context such as 'He absconded from military service/school/prison)

bradx

arabic
    elope: to run away (from parents, usually) in order to marry someone. (Very specific meaning.)

flee: to run (fast) from danger/from a person. Usually involves fear/danger
    escape: to free yourself from something/someone.

Examples:
    I fled from the beast (I ran away as fast as I could – because I was afraid)
    I escaped from the beast (the beast had nearly caught me, but I ran away and climbed up a tree – so I got away from it)

abscond: to escape/get away from somewhere you ought to be. Usually used in context such as 'He absconded from military service/school/prison)

Thank you it is a comprehensive explanation, still don't get the use of escape, escape from reality and escape from captivity. Is it right?

Chez

English English
    Yes, escape from reality and escape from captivity are both correct.

Escape from reality is more figurative, of course, as you can't really escape from real life. But the term is often used to refer to a wonderful, escapist holiday when you can forget your real-life problems and stresses.

< Previous | Next >