abseiling

< Previous | Next >
  • kitenok

Hi gisi,
    I have never in my life heard the term abseiling, although I see that it exists in the Oxford English Dictionary. As far as I know, descent down a cliff by rope is rappelling (and only rappelling) in American English.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    This strikes me as more of a "research" question rather than a language question.

As far as I know, abseiling is the same thing as rappelling. (Note the double L.)

TurnLeft

British English
    Hi gisi,
    I have never in my life heard the term abseiling, although I see that it exists in the Oxford English Dictionary. As far as I know, descent down a cliff by rope is rappelling (and only rappelling) in American English.
    While on the other hand, I have never in my life heard the term rappelling, although I see that it exists in the Oxford English Dictionary. As far as I know, descent down a cliff by rope is abseiling (and only abseiling) in British English.

Pedro y La Torre

English (Ireland)
    For what it's worth, rappelling is absolutely unknown in Ireland too. Abseiling would seem the somewhat more logical term, coming as it does from the German to scale down a rope, while rappel looks to be derived from the French meaning recall.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >