Absent vs. Rare vs. Extinct

Editor India

Hindi
Which of the following sentences is/are invalid? Or are all valid?

A: In the era of technology, manual totaling is absent.

B: In the era of technology, manual totaling is rare.

C: In the era of technology, manual totaling is extinct.

Thanks for your support in advance!

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    All three are grammatically possible, but I think only B is likely.
    A needs qualifying: absent from where?
    And C is surely untrue? I pity the poor engineer who has to use a calculator to add 3+5.

Barque

Tamil
    I agree that only "rare" seems correct, though I don't agree that that's true either.

By the way, you probably meant: In this era of technology...

Editor India

Hindi
    All three are grammatically possible, but I think only B is likely.
    A needs qualifying: absent from where?
    And C is surely untrue? I pity the poor engineer who has to use a calculator to add 3+5.
    B is what I, as a user of English language, am able to relate myself to. However, can A and C be valid in any circumstances?

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    B is what I, as a user of English language, am able to relate myself to. However, can A and C be valid in any circumstances?
    As I said, A could be valid if qualified, e.g: In this era of technology, manual totaling is absent from the curriculum of many primary schools.... absent from the experience of most graduates...

These sentences are grammatically valid. I've no idea whether they are factually true.

Editor India

Hindi
    As I said, A could be valid if qualified, e.g: In this era of technology, manual totaling is absent from the curriculum of many primary schools.... absent from the experience of most graduates...

These sentences are grammatically valid. I've no idea whether they are factually true.
    Thank you for the support!

< Previous | Next >