absolute construction vs participle with different subjects

Unique.s

Nepal-Nepali
I've read in Prof .Rajappan's English Lessons: Participial Construction & Absolute Construction : Difference Explained says that "absolute construction makes use of absolute phrase.Here,absolute means 'independent' or 'not-related".subject is always mentioned in absolute phrase.For example'he being rich' but subject is never mentioned in participle claause.For example: 'being rich'.subject of the absolute phrase is always different from those of main clause." Having read all this,I have now come at the point that absolute construction is related to the participle clause.Because participle clause having the use of different subjects can also be called 'an absolute construction".Am i right at the point ? If I'm right,Then I can say that the following sentences can also be called the absolute construction because the subordinate clauses have the different subjects than those of main clauses.For example:

1.The weather being nice,We decided to go for a picnic.

2.It being a claudy night,I couldn't see the moon.

3.Saroj being late,I couldn't catch the bus.

4.The teacher being late,we had no school yesterday.

If these sentences are with absolute construction, these sentences can also be called participle clauses having the different subjects.Am I right ?

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    That's right, they are participle clauses. They include the subject precisely because it's not the same as the subject of the main clause.

Being late, I hurried to catch the bus. [I was late]
    Saroj being late, I caught the bus without him.

If there is no subject, you can supply it from the main clause. In this case, the two clauses are linked, because they share a subject. The relationship is absolute if they are not linked.

e2efour

UK English
    An absolute clause does not have to have a verb in it.

For example, The lecture over, the students quickly left the auditorium.
    It can be turned into a participle phrase as follows: The lecture having finished, ...

Unique.s

Nepal-Nepali
    @e2efour,what about the examples sentences I've quoted in my question? Absoulate construction is grammatically correct? Is it used in formal writing only?

e2efour

UK English
    Absolute clauses are used more in formal writing.
    In spoken English I would expect to hear, for example, As/Because/Since the weather was nice, we decided to go for a picnic.

Unique.s

Nepal-Nepali
    @e2efour,thank you for reply, It would seem that all the sentences I've quoted are with absolute construction. Aren't they?

< Previous | Next >