Absolute Infinitive Construction

< Previous | Next >

Taisi

Russian-Russia
Absolute Infinitive Construction is used rarely, but it exists anyway... It is possible to say "2 new schools to open next year." (in the meaning of "They are to open next year/") By the way, 1) is it possible to put Passive Voice here?

and 2) is it possible to construct the following:
- Captain, who saved all his crew, to be announced a hero. (in the meaning of "He is to be announced a hero." ???) The sentence seems to be rather artificial, but who knows.....

• grassy

Polish
    To me they could only be written as headlines. The first one is just a shortened version of 2 new schools are to open next year, so I wouldn't label it as a grammar construction on its own.

- Captain, who saved all his crew, to be announced a hero. (in the meaning of "He is to be announced a hero." ???) The sentence seems to be rather artificial, but who knows.....
    Yes, but you may want to consider leaving out the commas.

Last edited:

Chasint

English - England
    To me they could only be written as headlines. The first one is just a shortened version of 2 new schools are to open next year, so I wouldn't label it as a grammar construction on its own.
    I agree. They just readlike newspaper headlines.
    ... is it possible to put Passive Voice here?

Two new schools to open this year. :tick:

Two new schools to be opened this year. :tick:

I find (2) to be rather odd. In my experience we don't announce heroes. People are acclaimed/proclaimed by the public as heroes.

Captain who saved his crew proclaimed a hero. :tick:

Taisi

Russian-Russia
    Thank you very much. Chasint, excuse my asking, but should I understand the last sentence as "Captain who saved his crew was proclaimed a hero/" ??? Or I don't understand something...

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >