absolute phrase

• Copyright

American English
    Welcome to the forum. :)

What you've asked is what we consider proofreading, which we don't do. (Rule) If you have a specific question or concern, we'll do our best to help you.

Carefree

Russian
    Sir,
    It is not about proofreading. This sentence was posted on another language forum, and someone claimed it was grammatically incorrect. However, I believe it is correct, and so I am appealing to native speakers of English.
    P.S. Personally, I would just write "Father was late, and it got the family worried/the family was getting worried". I believe I am perfectly capable of proofreading myself.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello Carefree.

The problem is that you didn't include a specific question in the post itself, so it looks as though you want us to look over the sentence for errors.  We require a specific question.  From your title, I believe your question is whether "The father being late" is an absolute phrase used correctly.  Is that your question?  

Carefree

Russian
    Hello Carefree.

The problem is that you didn't include a specific question in the post itself, so it looks as though you want us to look over the sentence for errors. We require a specific question. From your title, I believe your question is whether "The father being late" is an absolute phrase used correctly. Is that your question?
    Yes, I guess you could put it that way. The clauses are not linked in any way, and yet I believe this sentence is correct. Am I right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Yes, you are correct.  :) 
    We allow absolute phrases with "being", at least in theory. 
    In fact, a native-speaker is very unlikely to use an absolute phrase in this way.  Your revised version is much more idiomatic.  :) 

< Previous | Next >