Absolute Phrase

Henry~

HK
This is an example sentence in a chapter teaching ABSOLUTE PHRASE:

The season nearly finished, Rebecca Lobo and Sophie Witherspoon emerged as true leader.

My question: why was needn't to be placed after season.

• se16teddy

English - England
    This is an example sentence in a chapter teaching ABSOLUTE PHRASE:

The season nearly finished, Rebecca Lobo and Sophie Witherspoon emerged as true leader.

My question: why was needn't to be placed after season.
    Because absolute phrases, by definition, have no main verb. They often contain participles, but often, as here, have no verb at all.

If it contained was, it would not be an absolute phrase.

Ahmed Al Saady

Arabic
    Hi everybody!
    Can an absolute phrase be followed by an adjective clause, phrase or a relative pronoun modifying a noun in it?
    Upon seeing her, he fell in love with her, his eyes filled with a warm passion (that) touched her heart.
    Upon seeing her, he fell in love with her, his eyes filled with a warm passion touching her heart.
    The absolute phrases (his eyes filled with a warm passion...), which're above, are followed by the relative pronoun (that) and the adjective phrase (touching her heart).
    My question is...
    Is it correct in English to use any kind of modifiers after an absolute phrase?
    Thank you!

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Where did you find the sentence, Ahmed?

It seems to me that "filled" here is a finite verb, with the conjunction "and" having been omitted for some reason.

Ahmed Al Saady

Arabic
    Where did you find the sentence, Ahmed?

It seems to me that "filled" here is a finite verb, with the conjunction "and" having been omitted for some reason.
    It's I who've penned it. Actually, I am writing a poem—I usually use absolute phrases in the poems I've written—and I'd like to modify a noun which's at the end of an absolute phrase in the poem, so I'm wondering if I'm allowed to do so, for this is my first time to use an absolute phrase that way.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Upon seeing her, he fell in love with her, his eyes filled with a warm passion (that) touched her heart.

I can't read the above as an absolute construction. Sorry.

He gazed at her, his eyes filled with a warm passion that touched her heart.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The nominative absolute construction in my sentence is the same one you wrote: his eyes filled with a warm passion that touched her heart.

It can also be placed at the beginning of the sentence: His eyes filled with a warm passion that touched her heart, he gazed at her.

In your own sentence it didn't work, but I find it difficult to explain why. The absolute construction must clearly modify the meaning of the rest of the sentence.

< Previous | Next >