absolutely amazing

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

My friend was trying a pair of sun glasses on and he asked me the opinion after he put it on and I said:

Absolutely amazing!

I wonder if it makes sense and sounds natural.

I think it's fine as a compliment and natural answer.

Thanks a lot

• Silver

Thanks a lot.

Do you mean that "Absolutely amazing" is weird.

It's the short form of "It looks absolutely amazing". So I don't understand why it sounds weird. Would you please go further on it? :)

Thanks a lot

Comrade Momentai

English-USA
    No I mean the friend who was trying the pair of sunglasses. If he worded the question a certain way, then saying "Absolutely amazing" would sound weird, but in nearly all instances I can think of what you said is absolutely fine.

Silver

Thanks a lot, CM.

I think I can understand what you mean now.

I think "Absolutely amazing" is fine in this situation without any previous questions because he knows that I am trying to please him, telling him that the glasses are fine.

So, I don't think he would ask some question "in a certain way" before I say that. Moreover, he didn't say anything and wear the glasses, so I didn't understand what you meant first.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I also think for the most part "absolutely amazing" is fine. It can come across a little affected, like "absolutely fabulous".

Or, it sounds like you are laying it on a bit thick.

Again, nothing wrong with it.

I might refer to the glasses when responding to him: They look great / amazing on you.

< Previous | Next >