absolutely dangerous?

alsoup

Greek
Hello everyone!

Is it correct to say absolutely dangerous?

I think the word dangerous is a gradable adjective so we shouldn't use 'absolutely'.
Absolutely is used only with extreme adjectives: It's absolutely freezing!

Is that right?

• sdgraham

USA English
    I would not use "absolutely dangerous."

"Absolutely" (like literally as previously discussed in this forum) is one of those mindless crutches that have been habitually inserted into AE, at least, by inarticulate members of society.

Neither would I say "absolutely freezing." Either the temperature is below 0 C. or it is not.

And, where "freezing" is concerned, it has adopted a meaning of "cold," rather than being technically precise.

alsoup

Greek
    I think it's absolutely dangerous to cycle in the city as there are a lot of cars and careless drivers.

Couldn't we say ''It's absolutely freezing outside'', when it's really cold?

alsoup

Greek
    Jeez, I don't know where to learn correct English from!
    I've seen ''absolutely freezing'' in an English-learning book. All my sources prove be to unreliable! :p

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    People commonly say "absolutely freezing" in BE at least: I've said it myself, in fact. The Oxford English Dictionary defines the adjective "freezing" as (used hyperbolically - i.e. exaggerated statement or claim not meant to be taken literally) - very cold. :)

On this side of the Atlantic, it's a perfectly ordinary idiomatic expression. ;)

< Previous | Next >