absolutely fascinating

< Previous | Next >

ylia16100

I was trying to type that some story is "absolutely fascinating", but the automatic Word corrector suggests me to take out "absolutely".
Does-it sound so ridiculous in English?:) I really want to convince people that the story is worth hearing...

• ylia16100

The automatic Word corrector is absolutely stupid, and you are absolutely right! :)
    Thank you very much.I have a tendancy to be very enthusiastic in French, and I always wonder wether a direct translation would sound really strange or not for foreign people (something like "well, poor lady, just escaped from asylum...")

winklepicker

English (UK)
    Thank you very much.I have a tendency to be very enthusiastic in French, and I always wonder whether a direct translation would sound really strange or not for foreign people (something like "well, poor lady, just escaped from asylum...")
    Dear Ylia,
    Enthusiasm is infectious, and in the UK much is forgiven to those who speak with delightful French accents. Be yourself, be natural and shame the devil. :)

river

U.S. English
    I was trying to type that some story is "absolutely fascinating", but the automatic Word corrector suggests me to take out "absolutely".
    Does-it sound so ridiculous in English?:) I really want to convince people that the story is worth hearing...

What's wrong with "fascinating"? "Absolutely" is a redundant adverb.

ylia16100

What's wrong with "fascinating"? "Absolutely" is a redundant adverb.
    It is redundant, I agree.
    In French, I Could perfectly write "leur histoire est fascinante".
    But if I want to stress on that fact, to add emotion to the sentence, I will say" leur histoire est absolument fascinante".
    In French, I know the effects of both sentences on the reader. In English???

winklepicker

English (UK)
    But if I want to stress on that fact, to add emotion to the sentence, I will say" leur histoire est absolument fascinante".
    La meme chose. Absolument.

If we follow river's theory to its logical conclusion, all adverbs of extremity would be rejected as completely redundant - and English would be a very much more boring place!

germinal

England English
    The English versions mean exactly the same as the French and either version is perfectly acceptable if you have a French accent.

When used by rather camp or upper-class English persons with loud, high-pitched voices `absolutely fascinating` can seem a little excessive.

Persons like this have inspired a very popular British sit-com `Absolutlely Fabulous` which may throw some light on the matter. :D

MissFit

I don't think that "absolutely" is redundant. It is simply an intensifier. Many articles are fascinating, but few are fascinating in every respect, down to the last phrase. If one happens to find such an article, it would be appropriate to describe it as "absolutely fascinating." Of course, if you use superlatives to often, it loses it's affect--the "crying wolf" effect.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    I absof___inglutely agree with MissFit. Whether or not "absolutely" is redundant in conveying the basic information carried on the shoulders of "fascinating", it does add emphasis and intensity.

river

U.S. English
    This story is absolutely fascinating.

This story is fascinating.

Which sounds stonger? When we speak, perhaps the first is stronger. When we write, the second is stronger. With the adverb you're straining to prove. Without the adverb, the sentence sounds final.

Those who say otherwise are definitely wrong.

Those who say otherwise are wrong.

Which sounds stronger?

AngelEyes

English - United States
    This is absolutely, positively, one of my very favorite threads!

Stunningly amusing.

Abundantly instructive.

Terribly, terribly terrific.

Many, many Americans talk like this all the time.

AngelEyes

< Previous | Next >