absolutely not vs not absolutely

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi
Here is a sentence:
"She knew that he didn't mind whether she were demi-vierge or demi-monde (half prostitudes I think), so long as he didn't absolutely know, and wasn't made to see. "

I guess "did not absolutely know" means "knew part of something", while "absolutely didn't know" means "knew nothing at all". Am I right?

Thank you in advance

• longxianchen

chinese
    Sorry, but I thought the single sentence is enough for the question about the difference between "not absolutely" and "absolutely not". That's why I didn't offer the source, Lady Chatterley's Lover(the last paragraph but seven):
    "Connie guessed, however, that her father had said something, and that something was in Clifford's mind. She knew that he didn't mind whether she were demi-vierge or demi-monde, so long as he didn't absolutely know, and wasn't made to see. What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist."

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Didn't absolutely know" = wasn't absolutely sure of it. (This "he didn't absolutely know" is an unusual way of expressing it and I wouldn't advise you to use it yourself.)

"He absolutely didn't know" = he didn't know at all.

< Previous | Next >