absolutely

Luicevan

Brazil - Portuguese
Hi, everybody!
I would like you could tell me the meaning of the word “absolutely” in the following dialogue:
“Do you want some company?”
“Absolutely!”
Does it mean “yes” or “no”?
Thank you!

• Luicevan

Brazil - Portuguese
    Thank you for your prompt answer. It’s incredible how things change from one language to another: in Portuguese, we have the same construction and it means a strong “no”.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    "Absolutely not!" would be the strong "No!"
    The syllable stress changes dramatically. Here is my attempt at explaining how I would say these.

Affirmative 'ab-so-'lute-ly! ... with a strong emphasis on ab and lute.

Negative 'ab-so-lute-ly 'not! ... with a strong emphasis on ab, and reducing stress on each syllable after that leading to a very emphatic not.

Packard

USA, English
    The syllable stress changes dramatically. Here is my attempt at explaining how I would say these.

Negative 'ab-so-lute-ly 'not! ... with a strong emphasis on ab, and reducing stress on each syllable after that leading to a very emphatic not.
    An Irishism, no doubt.

I would not hear the difference in "absolutely" in either context in New York.

JamesM

I don't think it's an Irishism. This is the way I would expect to hear it as well. As I hear it, the "lute" gets a little more stress than the "ab", mostly in pitch.

Packard

USA, English
    I don't think it's an Irishism. This is the way I would expect to hear it as well. As I hear it, the "lute" gets a little more stress than the "ab", mostly in pitch.

I just repeated it aloud here, and I would still expect them to sound the same (at least from my mouth).

< Previous | Next >