absorbing or absorption

yulong

A.The legal environment for the absorption of foreign capital is continually improved.
B.The legal environment for the absorbing of foreign capital is continually improved.
I used absorbing but the teacher corrected it changed it to absorption. Why? Does it mean that whenever a Verb has a specific noun form of itself, it is better to use it rather than using the V+ing form?
Thanks

• Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    >> I used absorbing but the teacher corrected it changed it to absorption. Why? Does it mean that whenever a Verb has a specific noun form of itself, it is better to use it rather than using the V+ing form?

Often that's exactly the case, however, I don't think that it's quite as clear cut in the example you give.

I wouldn't object to using the V+ing provided you left out 'the' and 'of'.

A.The legal environment for the absorption of foreign capital is continually improved. :tick: (although I don't like it)

B.The legal environment for the absorbing of foreign capital is continually improved. :cross:

B.The legal environment for the absorbing of foreign capital is continually improved. :tick: (my preference)

The rest of the sentence is pretty ropey, Where did you find it?

yulong

Thank you Beryl.
    It seems more complicated now though... Can I say V+ing is better than noun in similar cases?

Why would you wipe out "THE" in this case?

(the sentences are from my translation class. It is Chinese>English translation, so the sentence are always formal and bureaucratic. )

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    >> It seems more complicated now though

I'm sorry to hear that.

>> Can I say V+ing is better than noun in similar cases?

I wouldn't want you to risk generalising from the particular, and especially not on the basis of my personal preference - see what others say. ;)

Sometimes one is better that the other, often the reverse is true, and then there are times when it makes no difference.

>> Why would you wipe out "THE" in this case?

I honestly don't know. :eek:

yulong

Thanks again!

THE is the tricky part, and I lost most of my scores in translation assignment by either adding additional "THE"s or not putting a "THE" when necessary. Just feeling so hard to get the "THE" thing. Maybe I will raise a question regarding "THE" later.

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    The 'the' thing (or more generally, the use of articles in English) is genuinely difficult, yulong; I sympathise.

There are plenty of previous threads on the subject, by the way: articles :)eek:).

< Previous | Next >