abstract away (from)

Toyita

Español, Colombia
Hello!

I have been reading to Noam Chomsky and I'm confused with some sentences. I don't know what do they mean:

1. "Abstract away from technical professional language, expert language": Does it mean we have to embrace the technical language or get separate from it?

2. Of course, it is understood that speech communities in the Bloomfieldian sense-that is, collections of individuals with the same speech behavior- do not exist in the real world. Each individual has acquired a language in the course of complex social interactions with people who vary in the ways in which they speak and interpret what they hear and in the internal representations that underline their use of language. Structural linguistics abstracted from these facts in its attempts at theory construction: we also abstract from these facts in posing questions (1) of Chapter 1, considering only the case of a person presented with the uniform experience in an ideal Bloomfieldian speech community with no dialect diversity and no variation among speakers.

We also abstract from: do they only take the case of a person or do they don't take at all?

3. We are also assuming another idealization: That the property of mind described by UG is a species characteristic, common to all humans:. We thus abstract from possible variation among humans in the language faculty. It is plausible to suppose that apart from from pathology (potentially an important area of inquiry), such variation as there may be is marginal and can be safely ignored across a broad range of linguistic investigation.

Same problem: Do they dish out the possible variation or do they take it as part of the study of the language faculty?
Thank you all for your posts!

• brotek

Spanish - Spain
    1. "Abstract away from technical professional language, expert language": Does it mean we have to embrace the technical language or get separate from it?
    -------------------
    I think we have to get separate from it. "Abstraído de lenguaje técnico profesional, lenguaje experto".

mmonroe88

USA
    vietnamese
    Hello!

I have been reading to Noam Chomsky and I'm confused with some sentences. I don't know what do they mean:

2. Of course, it is understood that speech communities in the Bloomfieldian sense-that is, collections of individuals with the same speech behavior- do not exist in the real world. Each individual has acquired a language in the course of complex social interactions with people who vary in the ways in which they speak and interpret what they hear and in the internal representations that underline their use of language. Structural linguistics abstracted from these facts in its attempts at theory construction: we also abstract from these facts in posing questions (1) of Chapter 1, considering only the case of a person presented with the uniform experience in an ideal Bloomfieldian speech community with no dialect diversity and no variation among speakers.

We also abstract from: do they only take the case of a person or do they don't take at all?

3. We are also assuming another idealization: That the property of mind described by UG is a species characteristic, common to all humans:. We thus abstract from possible variation among humans in the language faculty. It is plausible to suppose that apart from from pathology (potentially an important area of inquiry), such variation as there may be is marginal and can be safely ignored across a broad range of linguistic investigation.

Same problem: Do they dish out the possible variation or do they take it as part of the study of the language faculty?
    Thank you all for your posts!

It means "not considering"

< Previous | Next >