Abstract nouns

Blacksheep846

Lithuanian
Hello,

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/about-nouns/noun...

At the bottom of this page, there's a chart of the abstract noun usage. The chart has this sentence ''we had a great time in Ibiza...'' and under (a specific period of time). Why isn't ''the'' used there if it has (a specific period of time) under? I still see the sentence with the article ''a'' as ''there are many great times and we had one of them which isn't particular'', in other words, I think a listener doesn't know what ''time''. It is the same with the sentence above ''the job requires a knowledge of statistics and basic computing''. Shouldn't the article ''the'' be used instead there?

• MilkyBarKid

British English
    You're confusing 'the' referring to a specific 'something' - dogs/ a dog/ the dog - and the contrast being demonstrated in the chart, of 'time' as an uncountable abstract noun - 'Time flies when you're having fun' - and 'time' = a holiday = a specific period of time spent somewhere.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    The phrase "a great time" there doesn't really mean a period of time: it refers more to an event.

So it's equivalent to saying "We had a great holiday", and we wouldn't say "We had the great time/holiday in Ibiza", because it's only one of many that we might have.

[cross-posted]

Blacksheep846

Lithuanian
    Thank you.

What about ''the job requires a knowledge of statistics and basic computing''
    Here we know that the knowledge is particular (knowledge of statistics and basic computing)

Am I missing here something?

< Previous | Next >